The UIA is proud to announce that its own Work Programme, the Public Health Group, has concluded an exciting student competition for the design of a prefabricated modular community health centre.
The UIA is happy to announce that its Public Health Group has successfully concluded its student competition on the theme of “A Prefabricated Modular Community Health Centre”. Student participants in the open, international ideas competition were asked to plan a 30-bed hospital providing specialist care in obstetrics and gynaecology, surgery, paediatrics and dental medicine.
The proposed project was based on similar facilities in India, where Community Health Centres are part of a three-tier system, an intermediary between Primary Health Centres and Regional Hospitals.
The evaluation criteria were:
• Originality and daring of vision
• Design quality and attractiveness in illustrating this vision
• Response to the program
• Inventive use of prefabricated modular elements
• Attention to the demands and needs of patients and their social environment
• Quality of working environment for staff
• Positive economic, social and environmental impact.
The competition was conducted according to the UIA Competitions Guide and the UNESCO Regulations for International Architecture Competitions.
UIA Public Health Group Work Programme
95 students registered from 24 countries.
38 projects were received from 14 countries.
The jury determined that the projects submitted were excellent, in terms of creativity and innovation. It attributed three prizes and ten Honourable Mentions.
Participant: Priyanka Sreekanth, KTH Royal Institute of Technology, Stockholm, Sweden
Advisor: Prasant Jyaprakash, Freelance Architect Kanchipuram, Tamil Nadu India
Participant: Alice Zaffarana (Team Leader) Mateo Carbone & Andrea Sichi, University of Florence, Italy
Advisor: Paolo Felli & Roberto Bologna, University of Florence, Italy
Participant: Katherine Tuten, Clemson University, NC, USA
Advisor: David Allison, Clemson University, NC, USA
First Prize: €5,000 + Certificate
Second Prize: €3,000 + Certificate
Third Prize: €2,000 + Certificate
Honourable Mentions: Certificates
• Chair: Clifford Harvey, OAA, MRAIC, Canada official representative and Director of the Public Health Group, Toronto ON (Canada)
• Philip Patrick Sun, AIA, ACHA, NCARB, San Francisco, CA (USA)
• Astrid Maria Debuchy, PhD Arch, Research/Lecturer, CIRFS, University of Buenos Aires, Buenos Aires (Argentina)
• Prof (Dr) R Chandrashekkar, Ph. D. Arch., Consultant, HLL Lifecare Limited, Delhi (India)
• Jean-Philippe Pargade, Architecte, Paris (France)
• Fani Vavili-Tsikina, UIA Representative, Architect, Professor, Aristotle University, Thessaloniki (Greece)
• Mr. Martin Fiset, M. Arch., MRAIC, Montréal, non-voting Advisor (Canada)